When it comes to diet, there's a lot out there about how to build muscle, lose fat, and improve energy levels. However, before you go on a run, your diet is much more about what stays down while you run and what helps give you energy.
The following food ideas are all selected based on their ease of digestion, and the energy they give you during a run. Let us know what you think about these meals!
5 Easy Pre-Run Meals
- 1 Banana and 1 Tablespoon of Nut Butter - This meal is designed specifically to be eaten an hour before a run. The banana helps you stay hydrated and potentially avoid cramps, and the nut butter gives you some healthy fats and some light carbs.
- Pretzels and Hummus - This meal is designed to give you a quick boost of energy. Definitely eat it at least an hour before your workout. The pretzels give you easily digestible carbs and some quick sodium which can help with hydration, and hummus has iron for strength and protein.
- Small Bowl Of Cereal - It's important not to have milk in this cereal, because dairy can be more difficult to digest and make for an uncomfortable run. The cereal will give you some easily digestible carbs that help give you a boost of energy.
- Mini Turkey Wrap and Steamed Veggies - If you are going for an afternoon run, try a light turkey wrap and some steamed veggies. You'll get important vitamins from the veggies, and protein and carbs from the wrap that help with muscle building and energy.
- Toast and Nut Butter - This meal comes packed with carbs and protein, to help with muscle building and energy.
The most important thing to consider when deciding on a pre-run meal is to understand that the closer to your workout you are, the more you should focus on making digestible choices with your food, and to keep quantities light so that you are not running on a full stomach.